World Cup discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Sports Talk Forum' started by Tris10, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    World Cup discussion

Please use this thread for world cup talk!

Englands first game tomorrow!

2. NYEXTREME

NYEXTREME Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you know if rooney is playing tommorow or not?

No Streaming Account
  3. great machine

great machine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Obviously, Brasil it the most talented team but only one non-European team has won the World Cup when the host country is from Europe. Though the team that did it was Brasil in 1958. I am looking for Spain to finally NOT underacheive and win it. But deep down I am praying for Italy.

No Streaming Account
  4. Skater

Skater LG Vet

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    No he is not playing...He's a possibilty for the 2nd or 3rd game

Did anyone Watch the Germany Game?...So many amazing goals :shock: Very exciting game

No Streaming Account
  5. NYEXTREME

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks skater

Ya i watch the germany game well just the 1st half that first goal by lam was sick that was a perfect shot right into the corner but i heard the 4th goal was nice as well but i didn't see it.

No Streaming Account
  6. NYEXTREME

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Me too :D

No Streaming Account
  7. Skater

Skater LG Vet

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yea Germany's 4th goal was even better.....I'm assuming everyone here watched the England game today?

No Streaming Account
  8. Oranje Macht

Oranje Macht Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Frings goal against Costa Rica was a very well placed shot yesterday

England's match this morning wasn't anything too special, decent all around display though. Beckham still can get everybody excited, can't wait to see who will replace him on the right side though. Was good to see Middlesbrough's Stewart Downing get on the pitch for Michael Owen who got easily fatigued. The ref was all over Peter Crouch today, calling him for 6 or 7 fouls.

After their defeat to Ecuador yesterday, the Poles should start packing their bags. I don't see them getting 4 or even 6 points out of their remaining matches vs Costa Rica and the Deutschland.

The late morning game this morning was alright, dull in terms of excitement, but the Swedes sure do have some playmakers, was a shame not to see Zlatan or Henrik get a tally though. I really thought Sweden would grab a victory after T & T went down to 10 men, but they just couldn't find the right finishing touch.

The game starting in a few minutes should be good, can't wait to see Leo Messi, he's going to be the next big thing in International football. Hoping that Cote d'?voire can pull out the victory however, further helping the Dutch chances. I really think this could be the year for the oranje, as long as Rafael, Gio, and Wesley actually overcame their injuries and can get back in the game. The key to their success will be staying injury free.

As for Brazil, they're obviously up there as favourites with Germany. Germany just need Ballack to be in the line up, and they could easily take it, scary team, they just need to fine tune that defense offside trap. As for Brazil, their key rests in the attacking midfield combo of Ronaldinho and Kaka.

Well, off to watch Argentina-C?te before work, will give my impressions after its done.

No Streaming Account
  9. Virtual Assassin

Virtual Assassin Champ

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I honestly have to say "Oranje Macht"

Lets gooo HOLLAND

No Streaming Account
  10. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    Ever civic in Toronto has got an Italian flag on them right now. Every tournament i root against the team playing italy and the last couple years have been good to me. You see more diving in an italan match then a high dive contest :D

11. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    The Netherlands are ranked 3rd overall in the world right now, but sit in the "group of death". Huge game tomorrow for them, I'll be up early to cheer them on

12. Oranje Macht

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I havr faith that Holland will do it. S & M have a tough back line to break though, lead by Vidic.i I won't be surprised to see it be a 1-0 or 2-1 final. If the Dutch win though, I think they will storm through the group, although Argentina and the Ivory Coast are two strong teams. Ivory showed it today, this year's Senegal?

No Streaming Account
  13. Bob Marley

Bob Marley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    England victory today!!

No Streaming Account
  14. Oranje Macht

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Meh, england are a little too over rated. Their key lies not only in Rooney coming back healthy and the team of Lampard-Gerrard filling up midfield, but also that Becks can keep his cool. It was Becks who got sent off against Argentina back in France, and then David fouling the Brazilian back in 2002 that lead to Ronaldinho scoring off of the free kick from 5 metres inside the half line.

No Streaming Account
  15. NYEXTREME

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Don't be hatin :D

No Streaming Account
  16. Oranje Macht

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Italy have a solid game set for tomorrow, against Ghana. Ghana have the potential to be this year's big African team, them and Ivory Coast both do.

The good news for Italy, is that Francesco Totti will be playing tomorrow, which should make this game a lot easier.

Personally, I'm getting excited for Tuesday over tomorrow, so I can see Brazil, France, and Korea all play in one day.

As for the game today, the Dutch played solid, Robben showing up in form, netting the games only goal, I knew that it would be hard to come across goals in this game. Robben was brilliant though, and the Dutch looked great, showing they could mix the veterans with the youth, and be fluid.

No Streaming Account
  17. Virtual Assassin

Virtual Assassin Champ

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Aussie's beat the Japanese 3-1!!!!

84th and 89th minutes I believe Cahill scored to make it 1-1 and 2-1. In the 92nd minutes they scored again to make it 3-1.

No Streaming Account
  18. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ouch. USA gives up a goal @ 5min in their first match and they've never won a WC match after goving up the 1st goal. Then they give up a 2nd goal at 35min.

I think they pretty much have to at least tie this game to have a chance at coming out of this group, and it's not looking good. Thanks for coming out, have a nice flight home boys.

No Streaming Account
  19. Oranje Macht

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    America is done for. As jon said, they can't win this game, they aren't going anywhere.

They keep giving up opportunity after another, and they aren't exactly gaining a lot of chances for themselves except for the Reyna shot of the pole. The best news for them so far would be when Jan was carried off.

No Streaming Account
  20. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    USA is in a tough group, Lets hope they whip the Italians! That game really is there only chance to progress now